Sunday, August 5, 2012

Farmer's Market: Day 3

Hey guys! How was last week's recipe? I don't love tomatoes, but I loved that.

For this week's recipe, I decided that I was going to try to use corn in a way that is rarely thought about. I wanted to use corn as a dessert. No, that's not a typo. I got the idea from Master Chef (Fox, check your local listings), when they had people making desserts using beets, corn, or bacon. I thought, "Hey, if they can do that, I can do that."

So I went surfing the web. I'm not great at writing my own recipes, but I AM great at tweaking a current recipe that I find. I'm great at making it low cal or skipping a step to save you time, whatever. In the course of my research, I found this site, "She Knows Food and Recipes," that has a section on savory recipes with corn as a primary ingredient. You can view her blog here.

So the recipe I really wanted to try was her Sweet Corn Panna Cotta. It seemed easy enough, and her pictures were so pretty. So here's what you'll need:

1 Large Ear of Sweet Corn, Husked and De-Kerneled.
4 1/2 Cups Heavy Whipping Cream (try it with the cream first and if you don't love it, sub out Whole or 2% milk for a lower calorie version.)
1 (.25 oz) package of unflavored gelatin. If you can't find this next to the jello, try the Mexican aisle.
1 TSP Vanilla Extract
1/2 Cup Sugar

Combine the corn with 3 1/2 Cups of cream in a sauce pot on the stove until it simmers. Take off the heat and let it rest for at least 30 minutes.
Once the corn is cooled, puree it in a blender. Then strain it back into your pot.
Pour the rest of the cream (1 Cup) and your gelatin into the sauce pan. Let it sit for 5 minutes. Then heat the mixture over medium heat until the gelatin is dissolved.
Add your vanilla, sugar, and gelatin mixture to your corn puree. Stir over low heat until your sugar is nice and dissolved, and strain again.
Finally, get your mixture into 4 - 6 ramekins or custard cups. They need to chill for 4 to 6 hours. This is NOT a suggestion. If you don't chill them, you will be upset. Once they're nice and cold, I sliced some fresh local fruit (red peaches) on top. You could also do berries and whipped cream if you want as well.

So there you have it. I hope that this recipe is as good for you as it was for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment